Object Detail


Leith became a separate Municipal Burgh on 1 November 1833, with its own provost, magistrates, and council. Made in 1901, this chain of office was only worn by three Provosts of Leith, becoming redundant when Leith merged with Edinburgh in 1920. Suspended from the chain is the pendant of the Leith Dock Commission who took over the management of Leith Docks from Edinburgh City Council in 1826. The Masters of Trinity House had representatives on this body. The chain continues to be worn on special occasions by the Master of Trinity House.
Collection Type
Date Made
1901
Period
Dimensions
440 x 310 x 104mm
480 x 355 x 35mm
Property Information
Accession No
TRH204

Object Type

 Share

 Comments


Be the first to comment.