This iron chamber probably comes from a 'breech-loading' gun that dates from the 1500s. Before firing this type of gun the chamber would have been filled with gunpowder and projectiles. It was then inserted and wedged into a cavity at the back of a barrel and fired. Gunstones fired by this kind of weapon have been found at Caerlaverock Castle. Found during excavations at Caerlaverock Castle, Dumfries and Galloway from 1955-1966.
212 x 105 x 65mm
Be the first to comment.