Object Detail


Used by the Corporation of Shipowners and Shipmasters for keeping cash and documents in safe custody before banks were instituted. Keys for the locks were issued as follows: middle key to Master, right hand key to Assistant Master, left hand key to 'Boxmaster'. It's former contents are thought to have been lost when the chest was confiscated by Cromwell's army and taken to Stirling Castle. Made about 1700 on a 19th century base. On display at Trinity House, Leith.
Collection Type
Date Made
Circa 1638
Dimensions
1025 x 770 x 420mm
Property Information
Accession No
TRH061

Object Type

 Share

 Comments


Be the first to comment.