This is a recumbant graveston, carved in panels along its two long sides but not on the top, where the only feature is the base of a shallow slot. The top appears to have been cut away, perhaps for re-use. From left to right, one side shows a winged griffin with prey in its mouth, a panel of interlace, an animal with an elongated body forming a knot, and two confronted animals. The other side is carved with an animal, seated human figure whose legs and arms are interwoven with the legs of a stork-like bird, another animal, a panel of spirals and another panel too worn to interpret with confidence. On display at Meigle Museum, Angus.
8th Century-10th Century
1775 x 300mm