Object Detail


This grave marker is known to have been trimmed down at least twice during antiquity. Its original height is unknown, but it is estimated to have stood between 60 cm and 1 metre high. It was found built into the wall of the old church, probably during the rebuilding process after the fire of 1869.
As well as the cross design, the front of this stone shows part of what would have been a double disc, a common symbol found on Pictish stones. The reverse shows a man on horseback, possibly the deceased warrior. The carving on this side shows interesting details of a harness, striped saddlecloth, spear, and sword scabbard.
On display with other Pictish Stones at Meigle Museum, Angus.
Collection Type
Date Made
8th Century-10th Century
Dimensions
600 x 875 x 150mm
Property Information
Accession No
MEIG003

Object Type

 Share