Object Detail


W Bury has painted this scene looking west towards Portobello and Leith to the north of Edinburgh. The spire of St Philip’s Church, built 1877, on the left and the bottle kilns W.A. Buchan’s in the centre suggest it is late 19th century in date. Right of centre, Leith Harbour is shown congested with the masts of sailing ships. Further to the right, The Martello Tower can be seen surrounded by the waters of the Forth. Built in 1809, this was designed to defend the port from the French during the Napoleonic Wars.
Collection Type
Maker
Date Made
Late 19th Century
Dimensions
605 x 1225mm
864 x 1470 x 70mm
Property Information
Accession No
TRH019

Object Type

 Share