Object Detail


The landmarks shown on Liverpool's waterfront suggest that Stansfield painted this scene about 1850. The small sailing ships with yellow sails, known as 'flits', are shown plying among large sailing ships and steamships on the Mersey. These were operated by Liverpool’s pilots who would guide trading ships in and out of the port. The Corporation of Trinity House, Leith, licensed pilots to perform this service for ships coming in and out of the port of Leith. It is now on display at Trinity House, Leith.
Collection Type
Date Made
19th Century
Dimensions
900 x 1500mm
Property Information
Accession No
TRH006

Object Type

 Share

 Comments


Be the first to comment.