A large quantity of stained glass fragments were found buried in the grounds of St Andrews Cathedral in the early 20th century. Some of this is likely to have been deposited after a fire devastated the cathedral in 1378. Other fragments are likely to have survived when the windows of the cathedral were intentionally damaged or removed as part of the Scottish Reformation in the 1560s. Many of the fragments are painted, stained and patterned providing a glimpse into the highly decorated interiors common in Scottish churches before the Reformation.
Circa 13th Century
Be the first to comment.