Before it was discovered at Kirkhill, St Andrews, in 1860, this cross shaft was being used as a paving slab in the floor of the Chancel near to the site of the altar. This would have once formed a substantial free-standing cross carved in the late 800s. Parts from two such crosses were found re-used as building materials in the medieval cathedral. The foundation story of St Andrews Cathedral refers to crosses, possibly like this one, that were erected to mark the boundaries of the religious settlement.
Late 9th Century
1879.6 x 431.8 x 228.6mm