Stained glass Memorial window
The War Memorial window was designed in 1933 by Scottish artist W.J.R Cook in remembrance of the Leith seamen who died serving in the Merchant Navy during the First World War. Medallions depict the different duties on board ship along with the flags and emblems of the Merchant Navy, Trinity House and Leith. The window was donated to Trinity House by Miss Colina Grant, the daughter of Mungo Campbell Gibson, a wealthy Leith ship-owner. Colina was interested in the welfare of mariners and very involved in local charity work. It was re-dedicated in 1945 to commemorate the lives lost in the Second World War.
Be the first to comment.