Carved in fine-grained sandstone, this head comes from the effigy of a bishop at St Andrews Cathedral, Fife. It is possible that this is the effigy of Bishop Wardlaw who was consecrated at St Andrews in 1403 and died in 1440. During his term of office he was responsible for rebuilding parts of the cathedral that had been damaged by an fire in 1378 and a storm in 1411. He was also responsible for issuing a charter which resulted in the foundation of St Andrews University in 1413.
575 x 440 x 250mm