Object Detail


Storing gun powder was a dangerous business. In 1748 a specialy designed powder magazine was built at the top of Dumbarton Rock to hold up to 150 barrels of this highly explosive material. This lock and key from the magazine was made of copper rather than iron to prevent any sparks igniting the powder. The key is marked "MAGAZINE / SHIFTING ROOM" on one side and an ordnance mark on the reverse.
Collection Type
Date Made
1748-1799
Dimensions
295 x 330 x 40mm
160 x 70 x 15mm
Property Information
Accession No
DUM368

Object Type

Key

 Share