Object Detail


James VI (1567-1625), two penny plack, 1583-90.
Found during archaeological excavations at Deer Abbey, this billon coin offers an example of coinage before the King's accession to the English throne.
The design consists of a crowned shield with lion rampant on the obverse, while the reverse shows a thistle at its centre.
The inscription reads the following Latin words on the obverse: IACOB 6 D.G. R. SCO. This translates as 'James VI by the Grace of God King of Scotland'. On the reverse the inscription reads: OPPID. EDINB, which means 'Edinburgh town'.
It should be noted that at this time billon and copper coins were issued in reduced quantities, none at all being struck during the first sixteen years of the reign. In this respect, Scottish documents of 1585 refer to the striking of coins at Dundee and Perth because of the pestilence in Edinburgh, but no coins are known with other than an Edinburgh mint-signature. James Vi was the first Protestant King of Scotland. As Elizabeth's nearest heir, James succeeded to the throne of England after her death in 1603.
Collection Type
Date Made
1583-1590
Dimensions
dia 19.5mm (dia 3/4")
0.8mm (1/16")
w 1.34g
Property Information
Accession No
MEL1443

Object Type

 Share