Clarsach based on the Queen Mary Harp
Sir Ian Malcolm of Portalloch commissioned James William Briggs (1855-1935) to make this copy of the 15th century Queen Mary harp in the National Museums Scotland. This was an unusual request for Briggs who was better known for making violins, cellos and violas. His son Henry went on to make traditional Scottish harps, known as clarsachs, until the late 1950s. A metal tuning peg that would have belonged to a late medieval harp like this was found at Urquhart Castle. This and the harp are on display at Urquhart Castle.
820 x 470 x 300mm
Be the first to comment.