Object Detail


This Pictish stone is incised with an image of a mounted warrior. He is carrying a spear and is either drinking from, or blowing on, a horn. The stone may have had other carvings before much of the surface was reworked removing them. The stone was originally in the grounds of Dunkeld House. It was moved to the tower of Dunkeld Cathedral around 1946. Simillar to Pictish stones found at Invergowrie, Dunfallandy and Aberlemno, its style may be earlier and date from late 700s to early 800s.
Collection Type
Date Made
Late 8th Century-Early 9th Century
Dimensions
w 1105mm (w 3' 7 1/2")
l 370mm (l 14 9/16")
h 370mm (h 1' 2 9/16")
Property Information
Accession No
DNK/o/1

Object Type

 Share