Object Detail


The Leith Banking Company was established in 1793 and in 1805 operated from headquarters in Bernard Street. It was one of a number of municipal banks established in the early 1800s. This 20 shilling (one pound) bank note was issued in 1833 when commerce was booming in Leith. In 1842 the bank ran into financial difficulties and failed having accumulated debts in excess of £100,000.
Collection Type
Date Made
1823-1833
Period
Dimensions
w 140mm (w 5 1/2")
h 113mm (h 4 7/16")
Property Information
Accession No
TRH233

Object Type

 Share