Object Detail


Presented to Thomas Aitken to commemorate the laying of the memorial stone at Leith Nautical College in 1901. Inscribed "To Thomas Aitken Esq. ON LAYING MEMORIAL STONE OF LEITH NAUTICAL COLLEGE 27TH DECEMBER 1901. Wm C LAIDLAW ARCHITECT. ROBERT LAMB BUILDER." The college was the first purpose built building devoted to the purposes of nautical education in Scotland replacing a school that was originally established at Trinity House in 1680. Situated on Commercial Street near to Leith Docks, this three-storey building had a library, instrument room, lecture hall and attic for taking astronomical observations. It became a centre of excellence for training men in the Merchant Navy up to 1987.
Collection Type
Date Made
1898
Period
Dimensions
285 x 90 x 4mm
350 x 120 x 45mm
Property Information
Accession No
TRH222

Object Type

 Share

 Comments


Be the first to comment.