Object Detail


Fragment of a cross shaft, decorated on both sides with single panels of interlace. The strands are incised with a central groove and are carved in the stopped plait style. ‘Whithorn School’ monuments like this one were probably carved during a fairly short period between 900AD and 1100AD.
The stone was found built into the northeast corner of the Nave in the Priory, in 1968. On display in the Whithorn Priory Museum, Dumfries and Galloway.
Collection Type
Date Made
900 AD-1100 AD
Dimensions
760 x 470 x 110mm
Property Information
Accession No
WHP.EC.37

Object Type

 Share

 Comments


Be the first to comment.