Object Detail


One of two giant siege guns, or bombards, given to James II of Scotland in 1457. Made in Mons in 1449 to the order of Duke Philip the Good of Burgundy it was supplied by Jehan Cambier 'marchant d'artillerie' at the cost of £1’536.2s. Weighing over 6,000kg, it fired 150kg stone cannonballs. Formerly on display at The Tower, London, it returned to Edinburgh Castle in 1829. A new timber and iron carriage was made by the Ministry of Works in 1934. On loan from the Royal Armouries.
Collection Type
Date Made
1449
Dimensions
l 4064mm (l 160")
dia 730mm (dia 2' 4 3/4")
508mm (20")
w 6969kg 900.36g (w 15366lbs)
l 3050mm (l 120 1/16")
w 1845mm (w 6' 5/8")
h 1650mm (h 5' 4 15/16")
Property Information
Accession No
XIX.13

Object Type

 Share

 Comments


Be the first to comment.