The Lorne Jewels
These are part of the Secondary Honours of Scotland. They were bequeathed to the people of Scotland in 1939 by Princess Louise, fourth daughter of Queen Victoria. She had received the London-made jewels on 23 August 1871 as a gift from the Clan Campbell Marquis of Lorne, later the 9th Duke of Argyll. The necklace is made of 13 rectangles, set with a total of 190 diamonds, connected by thirteen pearls encircled with diamonds. The Locket consists of a large oriental pearl surrounded by a row of ten smaller diamonds which alternate with tem lozenge-shaped diamonds. The final part of the Jewel, the pear-shaped Pendant, is attached to the locket by a double sprig of bog myrtle, the Campbell plant badge, formed of emeralds. On the pendent is a representation of the Galley of Lorne in relief (symbolizing descent from the royal house of the Norse); this is composed of sapphires on a paving of diamonds. The Galley is surrounded with the motto of the Dukes’ of Argyll, NE OBLIVISCARIS [do not forget] with letters set in diamond chips. On display in Edinburgh Castle.
255 x 120mm